Instructions for Replacing INST-FIL-REF whole house filter media
Product Codes: INST-FIL-REF | FIL-REF16S I FIL-REF32C | FIL-REF16C I FIL-REF32S
Thank you for your purchase and for choosing the greener option for replacing your media
How to Replace Your Filtration Media
1) Locate the correct housing ie with code FIL16 or FIL32 (if you have a twin system this is on the Left nearest the water inlet)
2) Turn off the water supply.
3) Take a bucket and place it under the filter housing to catch any water spillage.
4) Then press the red or black button on top of the housing unit (if you have one) to release pressure. Otherwise open up the cold water kitchen tap.
5) Remove the bottom housing from the head (Lefty loosey / righty tighty!)
6) Remove the cartridge and open it.
(Your cartridge might be either a quarter turn twist anti clockwise / pull off at the top) or have a jam jar type lid at the bottom which unscrews
7) Discard the old media.
The water filter black media can go on flower beds etc - but not on compost.
8) Rinse out the cartridge casing with cold water.
You can also wash the rubber washers in warm soapy water - to remove any residue. Then rinse and replace.
9) Carefully pour the new media from all of the bags into the cartridge casing on the left hand side / first in series.
CAUTION: With the water filter / white cartridge, you will get a very fine carbon dust in the air. This will be minimal but if you’re asthmatic you may choose to do the pouring outside.
Important Note: Do Not Overfill
The media / powder have been carefully measured. There should be a GAP / SPACE of at least 3 inches between the black powder / media and the top of the cartridge.
This is because the water mixes the media up. It is not supposed to force its way through. And the media slowly expands when wet. If overfull it will block the water supply.
Media / Powder QuantitiesTo make one FIL16 use TWO bags of FIL-REF
10) Close cartridge and re-insert into the housing unit. Take care to position the cartridge top and bottom correctly inside the housing.
11) Finally: On the housing: smear some Vaseline on the thin black rubber oring that sits in the lower bowl.
Make sure to put the oring back in its correct place.
You can also put vaseline on the screw threads to make the housing easier to open next time. (But do not put Vaseline on the cartridges).
12) Close housing. Do not over tighten. And turn the water supply back on.
Open up your cold water taps for 5 minutes to flush and let any trapped air escape.
The water may look cloudy for a while but will settle down after several minutes.
Any Problems? Please Telephone 020 8761 6611
Important Note re Reminders
To avoid long term bacteria build-up it is important to change or disconnect your water filter cartridges on time.
We will email you reminders when it's time to change, but please make sure you whitelist our email address so these reminders aren't sent to spam.
And/ or set an alarm now on your mobile or use Siri etc
Please note your feedback and any suggestions as to how we can improve our service are always appreciated.
Sales Admin Team
Telephone 020 8761 6611
Please call us on
020 8761 6611
UK Water Filters Ltd
Parkhall Industrial Centre
UK Water Filters Ltd a Company Limited by Guarantee,
Registered in England,
Company Number: 05249436,
VAT Reg. No. 863 7634 91
Questions? Call us for friendly advice
+44 (0) 20 8761 6611